Some call it the American Paradox. As one of the richest and most powerful nations in the world, we are riddled with disease and are becoming sicker with each passing year. Americans life expectancy is still an impressive 78.1 years, well above the world average of 66.6. Yet, the incidences of most major diseases are on the rise. We are now able to recover from disease and accidents that would have been fatal years ago, but as a nation, we are having to learn to live with disease. Let’s look at some stats:
The cold, hard facts:
- More than 1500 Americans die of cancer every day. (1)
- 1 in 10 Americans has been diagnosed with diabetes while 1 in 4 are prediabetic. (1,3)
- 1 in 12 Americans has an autoimmune disease. (4)
- 60% of American adults are overweight or obese while more than 25 percent of children are overweight or obese. (1)
- Obesity in adults has more than doubled since 1980 from 15% to currently 33.5%. (1)
- Heart disease, cancer and stroke are the three top causes of death in the United States totaling more than 1.3 million deaths a year. (1)
It is estimated that:
- 41% of men and women born in 2009 will be diagnosed with cancer at some point in their lifetime. (5)
- 1 in 4 Americans is living with cardiovascular disease (58 million Americans). (6)
- 46 million (22%) of adults have some form of arthritis. (1)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children has increased by 500 percent in the last 45 years! (5)
If you’re like me, you know many people whose lives have been affected by one or more of these frightening diseases. You may be wondering what you can do or you may be confused by all the conflicting news reports and fad diets – what really works? We are the most educated nation on the face of the planet in regards to nutrition, yet we are not getting any healthier.
But all hope is NOT lost! It is estimated that 7 out of the 10 top causes of death including heart disease, cancer and stroke can be prevented with the right nutrition. (7) We will take a journey together exploring each facet of nutrition, exposing those current nutritional philosophies that are not built on science but on faulty studies, and we will attempt to get to the bottom of the question of what you and I should eat and why. There are many proven things you can do to reverse chronic disease with proper nutrition as the foundation. So stay tuned for a journey that will change your life!
4. Nakazawa, D.J., The Autoimmune Epidemic, 2008, Touchstone.
5. Hatherill, J.R., Eat to Beat Cancer, 1998, Renaissance Books.
6. Ottoboni, F., Ottoboni, A, The Modern Nutritional Diseases: and how to prevent them. 2002, Vincente Books Inc.
7. Beling, S., Power Foods, 1997, HarperCollins.